Saturday 24 January 2015

SPIRITUAL HEALTH & EMOTIONAL WELLNESS - "A Reversal of Destiny"


A Reversal of Destiny
To say the past two years (2012-2014) were challenging would be an understatement. Actually they were the two most difficult years of my entire life and ministry journey. It started when we had settled into a new ministry position and suddenly found ourselves without our jobs. On the heels of this was the loss of my colleague and Dena’s boss and his wife and son in a tragic accident on Highway 63. Jobless and grieving we had no help available to deal with our losses, other than some words of encouragement from a couple of people at the District office, I was left to try and help Dena get through all of this in the midst of my own emotional pain which was as excruciating as physical pain. My Spiritual health and emotional wellness was put to the test. I would like to say it brought out the best in me but it didn’t, it brought out the worst that was in me and I had to deal with it in order to recover and grow. It was a very painful journey.
In July of 2014 I was given the opportunity to meditate and reflect without distraction, this was the beginning of a series of events that led to my “reversal of destiny”, a term I picked up from Beth Moore’s study on the book of Esther.  I was asked to join a friend in the preview of this study that she was planning on sharing in her ladies Bible study group. Dena did the study and it became very precious to us and a means of spiritual growth. Actually the key players in our “reversal of destiny” include Beth Moore, Charles Stanley and our friend Tammy.
One evening in Beaumont, Alberta the presence of the Lord was very real and the Holy Spirit was at work in a special way. I decided to take my daily prayer walk. I walked to the mail and after picking up the mail, I was impressed to walk the trail in a reverse direction. While doing the prayer walk, I had a strong impression that I was beginning to walk in a reversal of destiny! It was an amazing evening of ministry by the Holy Spirit.
I was reading Charles Stanley’s book, The Ultimate Conversation, at the time and it spoke directly into my life during this time in my life. ADONIA, became a personal revelation to me as my friend was led to pray over me. The Lord became very real to me as my Guide, Provider and Protector. All three were demonstrated to us during a weekend ministry at Fort McMurray in August 2014 and since.

During this season my passion for ministry was renewed from prayer, Bible study and engaging in conversation with my friend about my early years in ministry and God’s faithfulness especially during  my time in Norris Arm South and my recollections of my connection with Pastor Hubert Holloway and the prayer times at Camp Emmanuel

We had thought maybe our ministry journey would bring us back to Alberta. It seemed to be our destiny. Although opportunities for private practise became available and a pilot project to work alongside Pastor Larry Lindoff to provide counselling ministry at Evangel was successful, we became restless and returned to Woodstock in October to wait further direction. On November 22, 2014 Dena and I experienced a spiritual breakthrough, a release from oppression that had bothered us for two years. It became clear we would have to take a step of faith and go forward in our destiny. Our journey would take us back to our home province

A job opportunity opened for me in December and on the 14th day of the month of January which I will call my month of Adar, (the meaning of this becomes clear in the conclusion of this article) I started my new position as an EAP Counsellor taking up three days of the week. This leaves me with the remainder of the week for private practice in Christian Counselling and Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) teaching. My weekends are free for ministry opportunities in local churches.  One weekend is already booked. Now all that is needed is office space for C4 Professional Services.

This week I had coffee with my former Assistant Pastor that started his ministerial career with me in Grand Falls in 1989. It is interesting to note that when He resigned to move to Mt. Pearl as an Assistant Pastor, I resigned my position to begin a career track towards counselling. Twenty six years later I have come to Mt. Pearl as a Professional Counsellor. Paul is the lead pastor at the city church we plan on attending. Another Assistant Pastor who moved to a staff position in St. John’s when I resigned and moved to the Maritime District is now Lead Pastor in another city Church. So it is great to have the opportunity to re- connected with my former Assistant Pastors Paul and Bruce.

So going back to my meeting over coffee - during our discussion Paul said he knew of an ideal location for me to set up my counselling practice. He gave me a tour and it is unbelievably ideal. I am now waiting final approval which seems inevitable. So it is very likely that Pastor’s Inn Ministries/C4 Professional Services will soon be operating out of Mount Pearl.

Ps.32:8 was a promise I received in 2002 when I left Newfoundland.

I will instruct you and teach you in the way which you should go;
I will counsel you with My eye upon you.

The conclusion of the matter is summed up from page 208 of the study guide on the Book of Esther by Beth Moore from which I will quote.

The Lord is the portion of my inheritance and my cup;
You support my lot.
The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places;
Indeed, my heritage is beautiful to me.

I will bless the Lord who has counseled me;

 “Here the lot or portion is an allusion to the way life has worked out; the psalmist is thinking of all the signs of God’s provision which have marked his pilgrimage…..the word had within it the suggestions of destiny.”

In our words, “ Lord in all the chaos and crisis, all the threat and doubts You caused my life to work out. Instead of me falling apart, the lines of my life have fallen together. Truly, I can say that You have given me a delightful inheritance.”

The day we wake up to the goodness of our God and the crushing defeat of the enemy! The day will be a day of joy and feasting…. Esther 9: 19

“…celebrate the fourteenth day of the month Adar, and the fifteenth day [k]of the same month, annually, 22 because on those days the Jews [l]rid themselves of their enemies, and it was a month which was turned for them from sorrow into gladness and from mourning into a [m]holiday; that they should make them days of feasting and rejoicing and sending portions of food to one another and gifts to the poor.

The Journey over the past two years as I said earlier hasn’t been easy but needful it seems in the process of my spiritual and emotional well- being.  Granting forgiveness, confession and asking forgiveness are never easy and in some situations there may be rejection but it is the right thing to do because it is essential for spiritual growth to take place.
God is faithful but we are required to be obedient to His word before we can experience a reversal of destiny.
Until next time
Blessings!
Pastor Harold

Resources: The Ultimate Conversation by Charles Stanley.
                     Esther, It’s Tough Being A Woman by Beth Moore
                     Bible, The New American Standard Version.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment