Wednesday 8 June 2011

SPIRITUAL AND EMOTIONAL WELLNESS


Are you stuck on the “Hamster Wheel” going nowhere fast and desperately wanting off. Well, as you continue with me on this journey this can change.
Stinson describes it as being trapped and feeling desperate. The anxiety rendered her ineffective in her Christian walk which forced her to ask soul searching questions such as: “Who am I trying to please? Who am I living for? What is my purpose? Am I living the life I am meant to live?
We have all asked the same questions at one time or another. As she began to think outside the box (or cage) she came to the realization she was placing a burden on herself to live up to other people’s expectations to gain their approval.
One of the driving forces to burn out, often including anxiety and depression, is the need to be a people pleaser and seeking that “pat on the back”. The satisfaction from this lasts only as long as the pat on the back.
Stinson made a very important observation during her self- reflection. She writes: “I began to realize that I needed to stop living for the words of praise from the world and pause to hear words of encouragement from my heavenly Father.”
The life of Jesus gives validity to her discovery. You will notice there were many pauses in his busy life and ministry. Why? He needed the approval of his heavenly father.
The Father publicly affirmed him at the beginning of his ministry, “this is my beloved son in whom I am well pleased.” What a difference this would make in the lives of our children if we as parents, especially fathers, would verbally give affirmation to our children. What a difference it would have made in your life if you had received the affirmation of your earthly father. Maybe you are one of the few who have but even if you were denied affirmation by your earthly father there is no need to seek it from others, rather seek it from your heavenly father.
Jesus said: “How can you believe if you accept praise from one another, yet make no effort to obtain the praise that comes from the only God.” John 5: 44.
Take heed to Paul’s words in Galatians 1:10.
“Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ.”
First, and foremost we must remind ourselves we are not meant to be men pleasers, we are called to be God pleasers and His approval must be our priority if we are going to survive the Hamster Wheel and live in the freedom of the life Christ offers us. It can be the difference between being a "human being" or a "human doer." One causes us to be driven the other allows us to live in the moment as human beings pleasing God our Father.
Get off the Hamster Wheel and be free from the lies about who you are and what you are supposed to do. Seek the Father’s affirmation and experience a life without limits in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Until next time,
 Blessings!
Pastor Harold

No comments:

Post a Comment